Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Lake George - a local trip for those that love the outdoors

For Jason & my 2nd wedding anniversary, we decided to do a fun & local trip to Lake George, New York. Lake George is a beautiful & cute town, but its prime season is the summer; there isn't much else to do for the rest of the year.

Jason & I drove up from Queens, NY, which took about 3 1/2 hours. On the way up, we stopped at the Taste New York rest stops, which are AWESOME! Taste New York is fairly new. It's a small store chock full of locally made food! We got these amazing cheese crackers from Saratoga & fresh ginger ale from Brooklyn.

When we arrived at our hotel in Lake George, we dropped our bags & went out on the town.

Before you go to Lake George, it's good to know in advance that it is not a fancy town with the best food or hotels. You go there for the scenery, wineries & breweries, & outdoor activities.

Jason & I went to Lake George Distilling Company. We were able to taste 3 whiskeys each for $5 & we got a free shot glass with the tasting! Although I'm not a huge whiskey fan, it was a great experience.

We also went to Adirondack Winery. We purchased the 2-person tasting, which was well worth it. We got to taste 9 delicious wines with incredible homemade apple cider cheese. We ended up buying a case of wine & 2 small containers of cheese.

Our last adult beverage experience was at the Adirondack Brewery where we bought a case of cider after sampling different beers & ciders. For a very affordable price, you can get a flight of beer, which contains 5 beers to sample.

After our delicious adult beverage adventures, we went parasailing. I have been parasailing twice in my life, but it was Jason's first time. We got our life vests & harnesses put on & went out on the lake with another couple & 2 of the parasailing crew. Jason & I went first & the crew was nice enough to take photos & videos of our whole experience. It was just as amazing as I remember. While we were in the boat for parasailing after our turn, one of the staff members recommended that we go zip-lining. So immediately after parasailing, Jason & I jumped in the car to Adirondack Eagle Flyer.

When we got to Eagle Flyer, we had to sign waivers, get weighed, & get our gear on. Then we took a 10 minute bumpy & dusty drive up the mountain to the 2nd biggest zip-line in America. I was ready to have an amazing adventure until I got into the truck. I saw how high it was & how there was a bit of a drop in the wire. I panicked all the way up the mountain & as I sat hooked up to the line watching the guy's finger on the button to open the gate. As I was saying, "I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS," he pushed the button. Jason & I went shooting out the gate at 50 MPH. It was amazing & there was no drop! Thank God. I enjoyed it so much that we did it immediately after for 1/2 price. It was one of the coolest experiences & I'm glad I didn't chicken out.

After zip-lining twice, we went to the saloon next to the zip-line. The drinks were great & the decor of the saloon is amazing. FYI if you're into horseback riding & target shooting, they also do it at Eagle Flyer. You can certainly spend your whole day at Eagle Flyer doing fun outdoor activities. 

Jason & I weren't thrilled with most of the food in Lake George except for S.J. Garcia's. I don't know why the ratings are so low on Yelp for this place because it was Jason & my favorite place in town other than Caffe Vero. The food was great along with the service, but the drinks were so-so. Caffe Vero, on the other &, was the greatest in every way. The pastries were so fresh including the bagels & they had an awesome selection of cream cheese. This family-friendly establishment is a must-go-to in Lake George.

Until next time 💗

Follow me on Instagram: @arielview13

1 comment:

  1. Years ago, there was a Polish restaurant on the main street in LG. It was only terrific restaurant in town back in the 90s. It's no longer there?

    ReplyDelete