Friday, January 8, 2021

Remote Work Makes The Dream Work


I always thought that I was one of those people that didn't like work regardless of what I did. I'd wake up 2 hours before work started, styled my hair, did my makeup, put on my dress/slacks/shoes, and would race toward the door to catch the subway. I'd sprint up the subway station steps and would be completely out of breath when I got to the top. The subway would arrive at the station, usually late, and everyone would passive-aggressively move their way to the front of the platform. The doors slam open and everyone starts pushing and shoving and I would cram myself in the sardine can we call a train car. I'd arrive in Manhattan, face pressed against the glass door, being pushed out of the train car and everyone would swarm the station like bees scurrying to their jobs. I'd get to work already exhausted just from the commute, get a cup of tea, finally have my breakfast, and would already need a nap. This is not how life is supposed to be and thankfully it's not my life anymore!

Now I wake up at 8:30AM, put on my workout clothes, make my tea, and put it on my warmer so it stays hot, pour myself some water, brush my teeth and hair and I'm ready for the day. I don't need to pay for expensive Manhattan lunches or open a squished homemade sandwich; I make my amazing gourmet meals right at home. I don't have to pay $127/month for an MTA subway card. Not only that, but I get more done because I don't need the breaks that I usually would in an office because I'm already home! 

Why are we still commuting and doing this to ourselves? People who are in the medical field or have hands-on jobs obviously need to be present and in their places of work, but the rest of us don't need to be. It's an expense not only for us but for companies to keep the office spaces running. I hope this pandemic will change the way companies think and move more positions to be remote because honestly, I'm living my best life. 

Here are some must-have work-from-home items to make your workday even better:

Do you have any WFH go-to products? Tell us about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment