Monday, February 18, 2013

Paris: The City of Love

My second trip to Paris was by far better than the first & was certainly an unforgettable trip. I fulfilled most of the Paris cliches & stereotypes such as eating escargot, crepes, & fondue, going to the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysses, & the Arc de Triomphe, & I heard a guy do the stereotypical French laugh. All I needed was a guy with a thin mustache & I would have been complete. Along with the fulfillment of stereotypes, I learned more about French culture. Sam & I stayed at our friend, Alex’s flat right next to the Arc de Triomf. We did not expect such a fantastic apartment with our own room facing the streets of Paris. Alex’s great-grandmother bought the apartment in the 1930’s, so the house looks very old French like you’d see in the movies. Along with it being Valentine’s weekend & being with Sam, which was great in itself, Alex gave us a thorough tour around Paris, we tried some amazing food as I mentioned, & we met some great people at the house party Alex threw. Most of them spoke English, which gave me more motivation to learn a second language. It is amazing how knowing more than one language in Europe is the norm. Alex’s friends knew a minimum of 3 languages; It was very intimidating! So next on my to do list is to learn Spanish & then if my brain has enough space, French. One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment