Friday, February 22, 2013

The good & the bad, but who cares? I'm in Barcelona.


The weeks since arriving in Barcelona have flown by. I can’t believe that it is already the end of February; I am really enjoying Barcelona & Europe overall. This past week, I went to the Catalonian museum for a class, which explained the struggles & victories the Catalonian people have gone through. I also skipped a couple classes this week since I needed to catch up on sleep & because I stepped on a piece of glass, but thankfully we are granted 4 absences per class this semester.

So about stepping on glass, I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with my foot. I was unaware that my roommate dropped a glass on the floor so I was walking around barefoot & I assume a small piece of glass went into my foot or punctured it badly. Either way, two days later I am still having trouble putting full weight on my right foot. I went to the medical center & they said they didn’t think any glass was in my foot, but they scheduled a sonogram on Tuesday to check just in case. I found this interesting considering they didn’t automatically jump to open up my foot or prescribe me antibiotics.

Normally in the states, they’d resort to surgery rather than expensive testing that is more work & money for the healthcare providers. Moreover, I went to Camp Nou this morning with Sam & my sports marketing class to check out the soccer stadium & what we would change about it to make it more attractive to fans & consumers. It was really cool because we got to go down to the field where the players play & in the box seats. The stadium is very nice but does need major upgrades. After Camp Nou, I met with my Spanish peer contact who I needed to interview for my class. She was so nice & spoke English very well. Other than that, I haven’t really been doing much other than class 4 days a week.

I feel like most people here, including Sam, want to go out & party all the time, but I rarely feel like it. I think I am a lot different from most people my age because I don’t smoke weed or any of that crap, & I am not one to drink to get drunk-a glass or two of wine with dinner or at home & that’s enough for me. I do enjoy interacting with people at bars because it is a great way to get to know the local people. As for clubs, I hate them for they attract a certain crowd that I am not too fond of. Plus, I don’t like going with just Sam since he doesn’t like to dance & I don’t like drinking & you can’t even hear the other person talk.

I also refuse to go out during the week even if I have late class the next morning, but people here go out on Monday nights after class, which I think is crazy. I’d much rather do things during the day: tour different parts of Barcelona, go to festivals, eat new foods, & wine & cheese tastings. Why do I need to be drunk all the time to enjoy myself? Isn’t the purpose of studying abroad to remember it? Maybe I think like an old person, but I have never thought that I’ve clicked very much with age group. Oh well. Life goes on, especially in Europe. =)

Until next time... ciao 💗

Follow me on Instagram: @arielview13

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ariel, Hope you're having a good time! I'm studying in Adelaide, Australia and I just wanted to say that you are NOT alone in your thoughts about drinking and smoking. I am also an old person inside and definitely do not think it is necessary to have a good time. Just the other night we went to a bar to socialize but the music was so loud, I thought it was completely pointless. Everyone here loves to drink but I think it's gross, thankfully there isn't a big smoking culture here, at least none that I've seen so far. But have fun and know that there are people out there like you, like me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I am not alone, Melody! It is important to have an amazing time while abroad, but I want to backpack, meet people & see the world. How can I do that if I´m so drunk I can´t stand up? DUH! I guess it´s just preference, but I wish there were more people who thought the same. Have an amazing time in Adelaide! If you have a blog, send me the link and don´t forget to subscribe to mine! =)

    ReplyDelete