Sunday, March 3, 2013

Valencia trip with CEA


Valencia is the home of paella & horchata, which is a drink made of ground almonds, sesame seeds, rice, & tiger nuts. With all the hype around these two traditional eats, I had to try them. The paella had chicken, snails, & bean,s & the horchata tasted like carrot juice to me. Both were an interestingly tasty experience that I was glad I was able to try. & a great addition was that we ate paella on the beach. After eating paella (which is shown in the picture above), we went for a walk on the beach, & stumbled upon a dead cat that had washed up on the shore. It looked like it had been floating for days since it was skinned & bloated. It was so disgusting & sad. That was the only downside to the weekend. As I’ve written in previous blogs, I love Europe but have not been loving my program all that much because of the students in my program.

Well, this weekend I had the best time with a group of 11 people that I met. We went sightseeing, clubbing, barhopping, & experiencing all of Valencia we could in one weekend. The people I hung out with were so nice & easy to talk to. Maybe it wasn’t me after all; I was starting to think I was socially inept. I guess I wasn’t finding the right people. & the best part is that we are all going to Madrid together this coming weekend so we get to experience another city together & have just as good of a time like this weekend.

 The hotel we stayed in was quite nice: four stars. The best part about our hotel was that it was right next to the firecracker show at 2pm & the fireworks at 8pm. These festivities go on the entire month of March every single day in every town of Valencia. It is called Las Fallas- The Festival of Fire. It was amazing to get to experience Las Fallas, especially on the first weekend. Since the beginning of the weekend, I have become less homesick & have really enjoyed hanging out with the people from CEA (my study abroad program.) If you ever get the chance, definitely try to make it to Valencia. It’s about 4-5 hours from Barcelona. & make sure you try the paella & horchata!

Until next time... ciao 💗

Follow me on Instagram: @arielview13

No comments:

Post a Comment