Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What I've done in Barcelona so far

Barcelona has been great so far. I have visited Sagrada Familia, which has definitely been my favorite site as of yet. It was built and designed by Gaudí, which I think I mentioned in my previous post, but his work is so fantastic that it is worth mentioning again. I went on a free walking tour of Barcelona (I also did this in London, too. Most European cities have them and they are great!) I have also eaten tapas, paella, and drank Spanish wine. Additionally, I have gone to a Spanish club, Opium (a club with a ton of Americans), Shoko (a lounge), and Dow Jones (a bar where their prices fluctuate like the stock exchange). I’ve been enjoying walking around my neighborhood and throughout Barcelona. I do miss my family, friends, and New York; I miss my college and my dorm, but I would not trade this change this experience for anything. And I cannot wait to travel around Europe. Paris for Valentines Day with Sam is going to be great and so is Budapest (that’s where Sam’s ancestors are from). We are still trying to get tickets to Dublin for St. Patrick’s Day. Everyone seems to be going because either the tickets are sold out for the cheaper prices or super expensive tickets. Lastly, last night I walked all around my neighborhood looking for an authentic Spanish/Catalan run café-not Chinese or Pakistani run like all the cafés in Barcelona. I walked for about an hour and finally found a place. I sat at the bar, got a glass of cocacola (the coke is so much better than the US), and ordered a ham tapa;It was great. I sat there eating slowly, sipping my drinking-just relaxing. It was nice to take a step back and really enjoy the restaurant experience like the people here do instead of eating quickly and rushing out the door like we do in NY. Sam met me not long after my arrival and we ordered a Spanish potato tapa (potatas bravas) and a really good chicken tapa. That being said, I have a homework assignment for the people reading this back in the states: Go to a café, order something and just sit, people watch, don’t be so eager to get the check and annoyed that the service sucks. Meals are supposed to be enjoyed, not rushed. After 20 years, I have finally realized this. Adios, amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment